Financial services technology opportunities
A provider of record-keeping software for mutual fund companies commissioned us to perform market research on new opportunities in adjacent spaces. In particular, the client sought to learn more about hedge fund companies’ technology needs and to assess growth opportunities in ‘retail alternative’ investments. This was motivated by a belief that assets under management were growing more rapidly in other areas, compared to the client’s traditional focus on mutual funds.
- Customer research: Interviewed hedge fund managers, advisers and intermediaries regarding activities currently or potentially outsourced and software/service providers used.
- Competitive research: Interviewed well-regarded technology and service providers in the target market concerning demand outlook, strategy and perceived strengths.
- Secondary research: Prepared overview of market and regulatory trends, as drivers of future software demand.
- Implications: Identified several options for market entry strategy.
- Recommended strategy for entry into adjacent market spaces.
- Developed action plan to implement proposed strategy.