Sales & Operations Planning Process
Diagnosed, developed and implemented a new Sales & Operations Planning (S&OP) process and tracking tool that rapidly delivered significant performance improvements for this large food manufacturer. Presenting issues were:
- Low product availability (80-90%)
- High inventory levels (7-8 weeks)
These problems were largely due to disconnected planning processes and a lack of performance measurement.
- Conducted a rapid, fact-based analysis of key performance drivers.
- Designed and launched a cross-functional team S&OP approach, with weekly meetings chaired initially by the business unit’s CEO, emphasizing real-time resolution of issues.
- Implemented cascading weekly, monthly and quarterly reviews.
- Built a simple Excel-based tracking tool to support the new process.
- Dramatic improvements were achieved within seven weeks:
- Product availability rose from 91% to 99%
- Inventory dropped from 7.2 to 6.1 weeks of supply.
- Client left with a robust ongoing process and decision-support tool.