Distribution Implementation Support
New Harbor was asked by a truck parts distribution company to support consolidation of two different warehousing networks, inherited from merged businesses. The engagement followed a distribution network analysis by New Harbor and the departure of the VP, Supply Chain.
- Leadership role: New Harbor led the day-to-day planning and execution of major steps to close certain smaller facilities and consolidate those volumes into an enlarged central warehouse operation.
- Team support: The New Harbor team established a detailed project plan, led weekly progress reviews and provided hands-on support for expansion of the national distribution center.
- People: Led the supply chain team until the company hired a Chief Operating Officer.
- Process: Established a detailed planning process for closing small facilities, transferring clients to new systems and nearly doubling the capacity of the central DC.
- Tools: Introduced an appropriate project planning and management tool.
- Successfully led the consolidation of the distribution network from the two very different legacy approaches, over a four-month period.
- Provided a warehousing subject matter expert who capably directed the changeover on a day-to-day basis.
- Set the stage for operational effectiveness, lifting service levels while reducing costs.