Interim Supply Chain Leadership
Following a supply chain diagnostic by New Harbor, we were asked by a billion-dollar, fast-growing consumer durables company to step in on an interim basis, leading the supply chain team while a new Chief Supply Chain Officer could be brought onboard.
- Leadership role: New Harbor’s managing partner played the role of Interim Chief Supply Chain Officer, with responsibility for contract manufacturing in Asia, plants in the US, distribution facilities across North America, global sourcing, logistics and supply-demand planning.
- Team support: The full New Harbor team supported the client, with assistance ranging from setting up new daily logistics reports to developing a warehouse capacity planning tool and assisting with a global manufacturing strategy.
- People: Interviewed and hired high-potential professionals in sourcing, logistics and planning roles, significantly strengthening the team’s internal capabilities. Led senior supply chain managers’ annual reviews and advised on salary and bonuses.
- Process: Established new processes to better plan, coordinate and communicate key activities such as service parts availability, outbound distribution priorities and weekly end-to-end supply chain performance updates.
- Tools: Created or facilitated powerful new planning tools for supply and logistics.
- Successfully led the supply chain team for six months, building new confidence within the team and greater trust by other functional leaders.
- Delivered a massive increase in shipment volumes over the course of the assignment, supporting a doubling of monthly sales.
- Navigated challenging Covid-era issues involving Asian manufacturing capacity, ocean freight constraints, North American warehousing service and outbound transportation.
- Guided the stand-up of new distribution facilities and supply planning software.
- Turned over the supply chain team to the permanent leader in excellent shape, with improved capabilities, coordination and energy.
- Launched longer-term initiatives that will pay dividends in coming years.