Last-mile delivery for medical devices
This fast-growing medical technology provider faced heightened customer delivery requirements. Competitors were also gaining market share. The presenting issue was how to improve service delivery to hospitals, nursing homes and patient residences while also reducing costs. We were asked to focus on the optimization of last-mile processes, at the service centers, for the delivery routes and at the customers’ facilities.
- Evaluated service center and logistics operations data (costs and GPS).
- Accompanied service technicians on delivery routes in multiple US cities.
- Evaluated current service delivery efficiency at sample locations.
- Identified and prioritized opportunities.
- Evaluated routing technology options.
- Prepared business case for high-priority initiatives.
- Identified $4 million in potential annual savings – through new service center processes, driving optimization, customer site efficiency and integrated delivery management.
- Recommended GPS and routing technology.
- Built business case for more effective routing and dispatch.